Thermostats can malfunction just as easily as any other component in your HVAC system. A thermostat can malfunction for a number of reasons, but no matter the cause, the result can be problems for you and your air conditioning system. While thermostat repair is not as intricate as finding a refrigerant leak, it’s still important to call for a professional. With AZ Air Conditioning and Heating, you can rely on our trained technicians to repair any malfunctioning thermostat in your home.
What Happens When a Thermostat Malfunctions?
There are a few ways a malfunctioning thermostat can adversely affect your air conditioning system:
- Short-cycling – a thermostat “short-cycles” when it turns off and on too frequently. Short-cycling can cause damage to your system and increase the level of wear and tear.
- Problems with energy efficiency – if your thermostat is reading the temperature incorrectly, this can lead to an increase in energy usage.
- Lack of comfort – a malfunctioning thermostat can make your indoors feel uncomfortable by providing too much or too little cooling; humidity levels may also be affected.
Most Common Problems with Thermostats
Here are some of the most common problems our technicians see when it comes to thermostat repairs:
- Dirt and dust in thermostat – dirt and dust can get into the instrumentation of your thermostat and hamper its operation. Having the thermostat cleaned by your technician should resolve these problems.
- Thermostat isn’t level – your thermostat needs to be level in order to work properly. If it is tilting to one side or another, the technician will make it level.
- Drafts surround the thermostat – if your thermostat is in a drafty area, the drafty air can affect the how the thermostat reads the air temperature; this can result in faulty readings. Placing the thermostat in a better location can alleviate this problem.
Thermostats aren’t the most complicated component of your air conditioning system, but that doesn’t mean that can’t cause serious problems. If you are seeing the signs of a potentially faulty thermostat, call AZ Air Conditioning and Heating today and schedule AC service in Los Angeles with one of our experts.