Spring is in the air here in Los Angeles and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The AZ Air Conditioning and Heating team has some tips that will help keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home appear as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to correspond with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your amazing trip on social media, but try to hold off until after you return to post anything about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as delighted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to cut back on energy while you’re away is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give AZ Air Conditioning and Heating in Los Angeles a call at 800-296-5088.