Whether you like winter or prefer the warmer months in Los Angeles, most of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it should be changed. We recommend at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. An expert at AZ Air Conditioning and Heating can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give AZ Air Conditioning and Heating in Los Angeles a call to begin. Give us a shout at 800-296-5088 or book an appointment with us online.